Thursday, July 22, 2010

Getting Going

Everyone who has ever run in a race know the thrill
you get when the starting gun goes off.
I had that feeling at my first race after my back injury
July 4th.
I think my nerves were worse than I ever remembered them.
My goal for that race was to just complete it.
If I felt my back at any time during the race,
I was going to slow to a walk.
I planned a one minute run, one minute walk rhythm.
Never done this before.
This was my first attempt at doing any running at all since the injury.
All my training at this point had been speed walking
with a pace of 11 minutes per mile.
My physical therapist said to give it a try, but
to keep the run pace slow.
At the start of the race I thought I was going to throw up.
I said to myself--"get a grip on yourself, it is just a race."
But, I was scared too.
What happens if I can not complete it?
Would I have to say good bye to running?
My physical therapy had gone sooo good,
I was even released and given a green light to walk/run.
Still, I was nervous.
The gun went off and so were we.
I was able to walk/run my one minute run, one minute walk
throughout the whole race.
Time 36 minutes!
As I crossed the finish line, I raised my hands
in the air.
What a relief, what a thrill!
I did it!
First baby step back.
Looking forward to the next step.
Now, if I can just get back to waking up at 5 am!
Many blessings.

1 comment: